Tuesday 2 October 2007



I’m so fed up! I really don’t want to be on a diet ever again, I love not being on a diet. But I’ve put about 6lbs on since I stopped being on a diet, and now none of my trousers fit me. My jeans and most of my skirts are still OK. So, I said, I need some new work trousers. Perfect excuse for a shopping trip. Well, I spent 7 hours in Meadowhell last week, and tried on about 30+ different pairs of widelegged trousers in about 12 shops in sizes 12 and 14 (and several different lengths on occasion too) and NOT A SINGLE FUCKING PAIR FITTED ME!!!!!! I was so miserable by the time I came home, I was ready to either stuff myself stupid with chocolate or go on a mad crash diet.

I seem to be faced with a dilemma. I can either fatten myself into a size 14, or slim myself back into a 12. What would you do, dear reader? I am not, repeat NOT going to deliberately make myself a size 14!!!!! If it stays cold I can get away with tights and therefore skirts. Perhaps that is my best plan. I’m so down about this. So very down. Perhaps I need to focus on something else, which would be easier with some clothes to put on. I’m fighting with myself every day not to go back on a diet, just to lose a few pounds, just to get back in my trousers.

Anyway, here’s a recipe:


Smoky sausage, chickpea and cabbage soup.
In a big pan, sauté a chopped onion and then put in some chopped garlic, about 3 sliced carrots and about 4 smallish diced potatoes. Then put in a tin of chopped tomatoes and a litre and a half of water. Then put in about 8 runner beans, cut into small slices, and about 5 big leaves off a big leafy cabbage (mine was, apparently, a Hispi, which is dark green and crinkly; it matters not). Also a tin of chickpeas (just the chickpeas, not the tin). Then add 3 or 4 veggie sausages cut into slices (I used Lincolnshire, again, dunt matter, you could even use meat sausages if you must). Lastly add a teaspoon of smoked paprika (or ordinary, but not hot), a good shake of veg stock powder or 2 or 3 cubes, and a spicy element (chilli powder or that lazy chilli, or if, like me, you haven’t got any, a really good squirt of sweet chilli sauce from a plastic bottle). Alternatively you could use the hot paprika instead of chilli, and maybe some BBQ sauce for the smoky bit. S’up to you, and as I haven’t even finished cooking it and don’t know what it’s like yet, it’s all open to interpretation anyway. Smells lovely though!

5 comments:

Lesley said...

Hi Amy, How was the soup? Sure sounds interesting.
I've been wondering about your trouser issue.... do they not make stretch pants in your size? I know I'm a lot bigger than you, but all my clothes are stretch or knitted fabrics and all have elasticated waists... so I don't have that problem.

Amy said...

The soup was marvelous Lesley! Really nice.
I dunno about stretch - I was after wide-legged tailored trousers, y'know, a bit Katherine Hepburn. I've more or less decided to try and drop a couple of pounds, that's all I need.
Ax

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy I really feel for you, as this is how I feel. I am now starting to need size 16 clothes and until recently I was a size 10. I remember how upset I was when I crept up to a size 12, then 14 and NOW 16. I had to buy size 16 skirts for work because I had NO skirts that fitted but given the choice, I would have gone without. So I do understand and I know we have already emphasised with each other on this subject. Maybe you could wear your skirts at the moment with tights, and see how that goes, continuing with IE but not feeling stressed out about your trousers.

Kerry said...

Hi Amy,

I empathise on the trouser thing too. Like you I'm between sizes (although it depends on which shop as to whether I'm between a 2 and a 14 or between a 14 and 16 - but I'm never the perfect 14!). I too am also down to very few trousers/skirts that fit.

I might have to try that soup - I love those Licolnshire veggie sausages!

Kerry xx

Amy said...

Do try it Kerry, it's lovely, and you can use anything you fancy. I got some size 14 Wallis trousers for £3.99 in a charity shop eventually, they're a linen mix so start off quite snug and get looser with wear. Everso widelegged, so just right really (except for the size 14 bit!). I'm off to (try to) buy a cocktail dress tomorrow, I've tried some and I do need a 12 cos a 14 is way, way too big on the top. Fortunately I'm after something with a flared skirt! Wish me luck, dresses are even harder than trousers, on a pear shape!!