Thursday 25 October 2007

A Bit of a Do



No recipe today (Gosh! Is it that long since I blogged?!). We had Quorn sausages and mash for dinner today on account of a teensy hangover. I did make the most delicious gluten-free ginger cake the other week, and when I get my head round the recipe (I made it up and will probably have to make another in order to write down what I put in it – shame!!) I will post it, as it really was quite delicious!

Last night The Husband and I went to a very posh do indeed, at the Cutlers Hall here in Sheffield.
http://www.cutlers-hall-sheffield.co.uk/
It was Sheffield FC's 150th Birthday Gala dinner, with all sorts of luminaries from the world of football (in which I have no interest whatsoever!!), some politicos, lots of journos, business people, and us. The Husband coaches Sheffield FC Women’s team and also 2 of the girls’ teams. Tickets were, I believe, £150 a throw, though we got ours for nowt! We actually got a nice dinner for a change – being veggies (Husband is, I eat fish but not meat, and it’s easier to say veggie) we often feel short-changed (yes, even when we’ve not paid!) by the food offered at these sort of do’s. We had a vegetable terrine for starters, which was very tasty, and for the main course a flat mushroom filled with a puy lentil mixture and topped with goat’s cheese, with tomato sauce, and the veg and potatoes everyone else had with their roast beef. Pudding was a chocolate torte with caramel sauce and a couple of strawberries (isn’t it always?). I ate all my starter, cos I was dying of starvation by then as the whole thing had kicked off late and the speeches had gone on FOREVER! I left some main course though, cos I was getting full, and I left the base of the torte (we had asked for mine to be gluten-free, but I didn’t dare kick up a fuss over the pudding, cos they’d have taken it away and brought me a fruit salad, and then I’d have cried!). I felt quite pleased with myself. The coffee, as ever, was rubbish, which I mentioned to the lady sitting next to me and she said, yes, it’s always far too strong isn’t it? Wow!! I was just thinking it tasted like water!!! The wine was included, and I probably had several too many glasses of red (there was a glass of champagne on arrival, and we managed to ‘arrive’ twice, as The Husband had to go out for a fag so I went with him, just so I could go by the champers table again!). So today I’m feeling a little under the weather (was off work thank goodness!) and just wanted mashed potato ALL day! I have cried off Belly Dancing tonight even though I know I would probably have enjoyed it, cos I didn’t want to go out and do anything at all! Perhaps I’ll walk to work tomorrow instead.

Next Tuesday it’s my birthday (I’ll be 43 – that’s not right is it?!). Think we’ll have some friends round for a meal next Friday. I’m hoping to collect enough money for my birthday to buy a new ipod, as my old one needs the battery recharging every day now!

The Boy took some photos of us before we went out last night, me in my new frock and The Husband in his rented tux, but they aren’t very good. Or perhaps it’s us that aren’t!!

3 comments:

Lesley said...

Lovely photo!!
quick thought about your ipod... I have an iriver and it gets a lot of use.. got fed up of it running flat when I wanted to use it, so I bought a spare battery for it. Off ebay, cost me £6. Now when it runs flat I just change the battery. Then recharge both next day. I'm sure you could do the same if you wanted?

Nicola said...

43? You're never! You look so young! Seriously. I'm very envious. My health visitor thought I was 30! Wahhh!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photo Amy WOW!!!